Recipes on the Road
Recipes on the Road – Delicious Dinners the Whole Family Will Enjoy
When traveling by RV, your food is definitely something to look forward to and to plan in advance. There are so many easy and delicious recipes on the road dinners you can prepare in your RV or outside on the grill that you may have a hard time choosing which are your favorites. Try some of these recipes and see which will delight your family and friends.
Easy-Peasy California Fish Tacos
For an original take on taco night, try this delicious combination of grilled white fish, and add a whole or half avocado per serving, Pico de Gallo, and grilled scallions. Only 3 easy steps and you’ve made a delicious Fish taco dinner, even if you have never made one before. Swordfish, mahi mahi, halibut, snapper, or tilapia would all work swimmingly in this recipe. Pro tip: be sure to get your grill super-hot before you start cooking the fish.
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ pounds firm white fish filets
- 2 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 8 scallions, trimmed
- 8 6-in. flour tortillas, warmed
- 2 – 4 avocados, pitted and sliced
- Pico de Gallo and lime wedges, for serving
- Step 1 – Combine salt, paprika, and cayenne in a small bowl. Drizzle fish evenly with 1½ tablespoons of the oil, and season all over with salt mixture, pressing to adhere.
- Step 2 – Heat a grill pan over high. Brush grill with ½ tablespoon of the oil. Add fish and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer fish to a plate and tent to keep warm. Brush pan with remaining ½ tablespoon oil. Add scallions and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and tender, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Step 3 – Divide fish, scallions, avocado, and Pico de Gallo among tortillas. Serve with lime wedges.
Enjoy! And, if you happen to have been out fishing on your RV adventure, try using whatever fish you caught to make these easy fish tacos!
Smoky Ground Beef Sliders – Greek Style
Spiced patties served on warm flatbread with tzatziki? Yes, please. These delicious patties include smoked paprika, cumin, and garlic in addition to the standard salt and pepper, which means each bite is deeply flavorful and can stand up to the tangy dill-yogurt sauce, which takes its inspiration from classic Greek tzatziki. To make it, you’ll first squeeze the water out of a grated cucumber, which keeps the yogurt from splitting. For an easy cocktail to sip alongside your meal, squeeze the cucumbers over a cup and stir the liquid together with vodka, sparkling water, and simple syrup. You will enjoy this Mediterranean twist on the classic beef slider.
- 1½ – 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 large clove garlic, grated (preferably on a micro plane)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 English cucumber (or any cucumber will do)
- ¾-1 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Warm flatbread and lemon wedges, for serving
- Step 1 – Mix beef, paprika, cumin, garlic, 1¼ teaspoons salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper in a large bowl until well combined. Shape into 12 (1 inch thick) patties. Place on a plate and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Step 2 – Meanwhile, grate a third of the cucumber on large holes of a box grater to equal ½ cup. Place grated cucumber on a paper towel and squeeze to remove water. Transfer cucumber to a medium bowl. Stir in yogurt, ¼ teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon dill, and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Step 3 – Thinly slice remaining cucumber and place in a large bowl. Add 1 tablespoon oil and remaining ½ teaspoon salt and 2 tablespoons dill; toss to coat.
- Step 4 – Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium high. Working in 2 batches, cook patties in hot oil until browned and cooked to desired doneness, 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium. Serve with flatbread, lemon wedges, yogurt sauce, and cucumber salad.
Enjoy this easy satisfying dinner as these sliders go Greek for a very interesting twist!
Amazing Roasted Pork Chops and Butternut Squash with Kale
Who says comfort food can’t be healthy? Here, we pair pork chops with roasted butternut squash, kale, and fresh sage. You may be surprised at what a hit this is with the family.
- 1 small butternut squash (about 2 pounds)—peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 1⁄2-inch pieces
- ¼ cup fresh sage leaves
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 bone-in pork chops (each 1 inch thick; about 2 pounds total)
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 large bunch kale, thick ribs removed and leaves roughly chopped (about 14 cups)
- Step 1 – Heat oven to 400°F. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss the squash with the sage, 1 tablespoon of the oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Roast, tossing once, until tender, 30 to 35 minutes. You can also do this on a grill, just cover the baking sheet fully with foil to make the heat stay inside like an oven.
- Step 2 – When the squash has cooked for 20 minutes, heat 1 teaspoon of the remaining oil in a large skillet over high heat. Season the pork with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook until browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Step 3 – Transfer the pork to the baking sheet with the squash and roast until the pork is cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes more. Again, if you are using a grill, make the “oven” by sealing the baking sheet with foil all around. You may have to cook it a little bit longer than the 6-8 minutes if you are using this method.
- Step 4 – Meanwhile, return the skillet to medium heat and add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the kale, ¼ cup water, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook, tossing the kale and scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the skillet, until the kale is tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Serve with the pork and squash. And, if you have youngsters around, try adding a side of applesauce for them.
Oh, this is so delicious! Your family will appreciate all the trouble you went to and probably come back for seconds, so be sure to make enough for your hungry clan.
As a reminder, when you are getting ready to hit the road, first check with your nearest El Monte RV Sales dealer, who can help you with any questions you may have. Please check out our newest available gently used and refurbished RV’s.